John Smyzer's Ramblings

Monday, September 20, 2010

Words Mean Things (I Think)

   I have grown tired of people saying things like – there is a Muslim prayer room in the Pentagon – there ‘was’ a Muslim prayer room in The World Trade Center – and on and on. I guess I can easily agree with those statements.   Media people however use these facts to justify a mosque at the so called Ground Zero.

   Is there a mosque in the Pentagon?  Was there a mosque in The World Trade Center? I don’t think so.

   I’ve been on military installations all over the world.  There are chapels on each and every base I’ve visited.  There may in fact be more than one chapel depending on the size of the base.  At no time have I ever seen a denomination specific chapel.  There may be a Protestant service immediately followed by a Catholic service immediately followed by a Jewish service and so on – and the services may be in any order.  Since my time in the military, they have even added Muslim services.  But… I defy you to show me a base that has a mosque. 

   So why do the commentators use the fact ‘services’ are allowed (or were allowed) in these locations to lobby for the mosque at Ground Zero?  I dunno, but in my mind it is an illogical argument.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home