John Smyzer's Ramblings

Friday, December 22, 2006

WalMart's Dilemma

I can remember the first WalMart I ever went into... it was in Las Cruses New Mexico - can't remember the precise year, but it was the year my daughter got married. I was working for Harris and went down there for nine weeks to fill in for a shortage of workers. So, I go into this great store WalMart I kept hearing about... my initial thought was, what in the world is all the hullabaloo about... my mother, my sister, both from the area where WalMart is king and I thought it was not even up to KMart standards. And so it went, as over the years I went with my mother to Wally World when visiting her... she always wanted to go.

As the years passed, we began getting the stores here in our area, and I very seldom graced their doors. The parking lot was always full, and I did venture in there on occasion, but never really going over to the 'dark side'. I did find if I went during the week, the crowds were not nearly so bad. Then one came to our little town. Jammed all the time... I began thinking as a taxpayer then, that it has to be good for the cities tax coffers. Regardless, I was very seldom a visitor.

Upon retirement I found myself going and strolling / browsing with more regularity, and in fact sort of enjoying WalMart, 'especially' when another one opened about ten miles away and took the pressure off our local store. And now, it seems the whole world is against them. It seems I am against the grain more and more as I progress down life's path.

Were I Wally World Corporate, I would pick some very high volume locations, oh, say maybe ten would do it, and I would shut them down... and do it within thirty days. Lock stock and barrel, shut doors. And, when the whining and crying began I would point to those in power who are trying to break the back of this company. I'm not even going to mention their names as you probably know the culprits anyway. In the end, WalMart is responsible for more employment (world wide) than any company in history. And I'm not just talking 'their' stores... I'm also talking about the people making some of the trinkets WalMart sells to all of we 'Ugly Americans'.

I dunno, I don't own any Wally World stock (sorta wish I had years ago), but I still think the business 'of a business' is to make money, silly as it sounds. And if the company is NOT making money and therefore NOT paying back the stockholders there will be an adverse reaction. So again, were "I" corporate I'd make the pigs squeal right now, and I believe were the ten stores strategically picked, they'd shut this movement down in a hurry.

2 Comments:

  • I wish I had seen this blog on Saturday. I would've passed your thoughts along to John Menzer's assistant. Menzer is Vice Chairman and over all WMT U.S., and he's expected to be the next CEO when Lee Scott retires. His assistant is sister to my best friend, Marie, who got married (to #5) Sat. evening in Eureka Springs. Ain't it a small world?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:36 PM  

  • Sorry, I didn't mean to be so anonymous on the previous comment. It's your Leetle Seester, in case you hadn't guessed! :-~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home