John Smyzer's Ramblings

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Iraq

Did you ever wonder, as bad as it's portrayed, why the troops (ours) are not rebelling? Remember Vietnam? Many want us to, that's for sure - only the bad though doncha see. No, what I am remembering from Vietnam is the dissension amongst the troops, many vocally exclaiming their disapproval of the whole situation.

We are not seeing disapproval in Iraq. I am positive one could find it if they looked 'hard'... one would be totally naive to think there is zero dissension, but in general it appears they believe in what they are doing. This is good and makes me wonder [again] about what we are fed daily from those who feed us our daily Iraqi updates.

I do realize they are volunteers, but knowing that 'war is hell', it matters not if one is a volunteer or drafted into service. If those troops did not believe in what they were doing, there would be visible and verbal upheaval. So, I am left to wonder as I have for many months, slowly stretching into years; are things actually better than we are led to believe? I believe (perhaps hope is a better word), they just may be.

President Bush is preparing to deliver his altering the course speech in this effort. I suspect it will basically be 'stay the course', and I am in awe of his courage. While "I" personally do not like the rules of engagement in the war itself, I defer to those 'on the ground' as knowing abit more than we 'behind the lines' type. I think, perhaps hope, 2007 may be 'The Year'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home