John Smyzer's Ramblings

Sunday, January 23, 2005

The Inagural Address

I heard it while eating lunch sitting at the kitchen table. I had the radio on and was munching a sandwich but... I did NOT think it was a call for war with anyone who was not in step with American idealism.

The day after, post hearing all the pundits writing about who we are going to attack next, I thought perhaps my hearing had gone bad. I re-read passages of the speech, I heard bits replayed... sorry I just didn't hear what they are all telling me I should have heard.

"I" heard a man who believes what he says and says it - one who believes in 'freedom' being the key to world peace, but never said a word about imposing freedom on anyone.

He said: "We will persistently clarify the choice before every ruler and every nation: The moral choice between oppression, which is always wrong, and freedom, which is eternally right."

To me, that means he will point out (NOT NECESSARILY publically), to every world leader if they are oppressing their people. In fact he / his administration is morally obligated to do so... that's what "I" heard.

He said: "our security at home increasingly depends on the success of liberty abroad," "So we will continue to promote freedom, hope and democracy in the broader Middle East — and by doing so, defeat the despair, hopelessness and resentments that feed terror."

To me, that is a simple declaration that free countries do not attack each other. When is the last time a democracy attacked another democracy... I dunno, perhaps I am a simple minded dunce... that's what "I" heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home