John Smyzer's Ramblings

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Softwre Recommendation

I'd like to recommend a 'Free' program to anyone reading this blog who uses Windows. The program name is 'TidyStartMenu'. Dunno how many of you, upon depressing the 'START' button and looking for a specific program get aggravated, but... there is a solution.
I love computers as anyone who knows me can testify. As a result, I download many many programs and install them just to see them work. Often times I will notice I was intrigued with them early on, and then dump them later. In fact, I try and have a philosophy that if I do not use a program in six months I dump the program.
Because I install so many programs, I try and keep a log of all those I install, and the related web site in case my puter crashes and I need to reconstruct things. And, because I install so many, the listing of programs in my START menu fills the whole screen and I find myself looking and looking some more. 'TidyStartMenu' to the rescue. EXCPET I forgot to log 'TidyStartMenu' when I initially installed it about six months ago!!! Arrgh! I have been doing quite a few installs recently and today I noticed my START area filling up again. I was racking my brain trying to figure out the name of 'TidyStartMenu' and I finally found the program.
With this program, you can organize the programs according to their purpose, e.g. you can put all games into a folder, all utilities into their own folder, all Microsoft Office programs in their own folder etc. In affect, if you put six games into the games folder, you have freed up five entries in the START menu.
Here is a link to the web site if you are interested in reading about the program: www.tidystartmenu.com/ , and, here is a direct link to the program itself if you want to download and git going: www.tidystartmenu.com/TidyStartMenu_Setup_freeware.exe
I have, as I 'always' do, checked the program for viruses and for spyware and it comes up clean. Those that know me know how to get ahold of me, and those that don't, feel free to leave a comment with a question if you have one. "I" love this program, and know it would benefit you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home