John Smyzer's Ramblings

Friday, September 29, 2006

Meandering

I meandered a little this week. A nephew had told me I should try a little place called The Dugout in Murdock Nebraska. Wednesday was so very beautiful, not a cloud in the sky, and my better half was otherwise engaged. So I headed south and west (about 40 miles). When I got to Murdock I could not remember the name of the eating establishment, but pulled up to the only one I could find... since the outside appearance did not warrant the lavish praise nephew had spewed, I called him and told him where I was, and is this the place - he confirmed it was, so in I went.

Hometown America - that's what The Bulldog bar and grill is. I had an open faced prime rib sandwich with shrrrrrooooms and melted cheese on top, some curly cue fries and some cole slaw. It was a busy place and I enjoyed watching the people... the people of small town America, hardy folk who generally are genuine. Perhaps because at one point in my life I came from small town America. I can remember going into the small town cafe with my father and saying I wanted a hamburger with meat!!! Just seemed natural to me I guess. Anyway it was delicious and I will traipse back that way on some beautiful day.

After lunch, I dropped further south and went to Kimmel Orchard - bought some fresh apple butter, and some fresh apple doughnuts... the orchard was humming as it 'is' that time of year. The actual festival is over but it is indeed still harvest time.

Turning back north for home I stopped into another orchard (Union Orchard) as I had passed it many times over the years. It was a good stop. There I bought a fresh, uncooked, frozen peach pie. I cooked that sucker yesterday... first of all, the smell in the house was wonderful, and the pie itself was simply outrageously good!!! I had to fight to only have a single slice but it will be savored until gone.

Winter will be here soon enough, but I doubt there is anything as serene as a drive through the heartland of America on a cloudless fall day. A drive like that will ground you in the magnificence of what we call home. It was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home