John Smyzer's Ramblings

Monday, March 27, 2006

Immigration / Borders

Been saying for aloooong time that this will be 'the' issue in the 2006 / 2008 elections. Events are starting to show that feeling to be true. The huge numbers of demonstrators this past weekend begin to show the weight of this issue.
Puzzling though - to me anyway... very little mention (at least here), about 'who' is doing the demonstrating. A cursory look would indicate (at least make me wonder), if those doing the demonstrating are here legally. Hard to say I guess, and do not mean to stereotype.
One things for sure... we do NOT need to build fences to keep people [in]. And I for one do not, nor have I ever had a problem with them 'coming' in - as long as they do it legally. It seems that is not too much to ask, because if they are coming legally, then we at least purportably know 'who' is coming. I suppose even that is suspect, but we'd have a fighting chance.
The congress / president et al. are tween a rock and a hard place. Had 9/11 not happened, it would be like all the previous presidents, e.g., sign a bill granting amnesty and start a new list. Well, 9/11 'did' happen - you could see this coming from a long way off; if not handled correctly, it will cost the party in power... and no, I do not know what the right way is... it is a tough tough question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home