John Smyzer's Ramblings

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Pre-Clinical Phase

I had my yearly physical in January... during the umm finger wave portion of the encounter, she said she felt something and wanted me to see a Urologist. I said, well, no problemo... I'm retiring the end of February so pick a date in March and I'll make it work.
Upon getting home I reconsidered the 'wait until March' thingy and moved the initial appointment up to January 16th. I promptly got 'another wave of the finger' confirming what 'my' doctor had discovered. My response was... she had a much gentler touch. Regardless, he scheduled me for a biopsy and that was done on 31 January. Dunno if you have ever had one of these, but it was NOT pleasant and I do NOT want to endure another.
Yesterday I got the result. It was non-malignant - thank you Lord. I have what is known as PIN, or, Prostatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia otherwise known as A Premalignant Lesion. It was a sobering experience as my appointment yesterday was nearly the last of the day. Doctor said his news to me was the first good news of his day. He said I should put a smile on my face and thank my God. Then at the conclusion of the session, he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "God Bless You". When I got to my car, I sat for a few moments and thought... he had a really 'hard' day. I also took another moment and did indeed thank my God above. As I said, it was a sobering day and puts things in a different perspective.
For anyone interested in reading about this, here is a link where you can get some pretty good poop.

http://www.prostate-cancer.org/education/preclin/pin.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home