John Smyzer's Ramblings

Sunday, April 17, 2005

A Glorious Day

Sun Apr-17-2005 19:40
It was a gorgeous day today! I 'heard' my first wren of the year but did not see her. She is hunting for a home obviously and Kay brought home a brand new one for her. I dunno though, it has a metal roof and the rain / hail falling on it might be loud. :)
I went for my walk at the river - I'm usually down there at least once a week; it is interesting to see the slow 'coming out' of the trees, the grass etc. Not windy today, just a beautiful day. I had the iPod in my ear and different songs made me flash back.
An old Louis Armstrong song came on and it made me flash all the way back to 1968, Okinawa - there was a female entertainer who played there - a very large woman, bath in height and girth. :) Regardless, she could emulate ole Louis like you wouldn't believe... she played the trumpet and used the hankie to dab her mouth. Just walking along and hearing that song caused the flashback.

I saw a young family with two little girls - that made me flash back to an earlier time and wished I had spent more time with my own. The fresh air and exercise clears one's head and allows in some of life's lessons.

Two times around the layout comes in right at three miles... at the far end, right close to the Bellevue Bridge, a man was hitting golf balls out into the water... there were two ladies, obviously with him, one was a paraplegic in a wheelchair and not moving. A grim reminder of just how good it was to be walking. I went all the way around and on my second trip, the man who had been hitting balls was now laying on a blanket, the paraplegic had not moved. Very sobering... I made it all the way around and back to my car and I don't even know why I took that route out of the park. But, as I glanced over towards them, the paraplegic had not moved. I guess all I'm trying to say is, one should count their blessings on a daily basis, knowing when it is 'good'.

It 'was' a glorious day, one where you soaked in life, cleared some webs outta the mind and went home to grill ribs and wings to eat with baked beans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home