John Smyzer's Ramblings

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Final Thoughts On Ms. Shiavo

Sun Mar-27-2005 20:58

Final thoughts on the Shiavo saga - I wrote this once and then my computer locked up and I had to recreate it. :(
1) I have nothing but pity for the parents and brother of Ms. Shiavo
2) I have nothing but contempt for congress, both republican and democrat, and not because they initially tried to do something. My contempt stems from the fact they crept back into their holes when the polls told them the people were against them. That proves to me, their actions were all political.
3) I have even more contempt for those demonstrating outside the hospice facility, especially after the parents asked them to go home.
4) I would have pulled the plug long ago.
5) I will never understand why Michael Shiavo did not just allow the parents to take over, and everyone go on with their lives.
6) Had Michael stuck 'with' his wife I would have been on his side in toto. It is principle with me... and before anyone else says it, yes, I have skeletons too, but I still have principles. I just think he forfeited his basic rights (in MY mind).
7) I spent 'one' night with my mother as her life slipped away. Had I seen even one glimpse of eye movement and or recognition I would have been encouraged greatly. I did get a grunt or two but that is about it.
8) The clips we have seen of Ms. Shiavo's responses. I myself have never been able to determine how old those are. I think they are so important to one's feelings about this situation.
9) This is like any other political event... once again I will say - have you ever seen or known anyone who has changed their mind on something like this, or the war, or welfare, or [ anything ] of import. I haven't. So we all have our opinions; I think it all comes down to how one was raised, the values that were instilled.
10) I believe she will pass tonight or before noon tomorrow.... may she rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home