John Smyzer's Ramblings

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Thoughts on The Pope

I'm not sure anyone can deny the influence The Pope had during his tenure. "I" find it interesting that he seems to have as many people who admired him as there were detractors. And I am speaking mainly of Catholics themselves. Not being catholic, but interested in the historical things revealed during events like The Popes death, I take most of these things with a grain of salt. It seems most things have a political slant, and this includes the hierarchy of the catholic church.

During The Pope's last days, one where he was in the window trying to speak... you could see the frustration on his face, and in fact he whacked his hand against his forehead 'showing' that frustration. When I saw that I immediately flashed back to my father. In the latter stages of his bone cancer, I was sitting in their apartment in Talequah - dad was trying to eat a bowl of cereal. He could not raise the spoon to his mouth with his right hand. He slammed his elbow down on the table in frustration. A sight / memory I will never forget - to see a man who always seemed so strong, unable to lift a spoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home