John Smyzer's Ramblings

Friday, January 23, 2009

Your Government In Action

In response to a plea in our local paper I decided to swing by the local  library and volunteer for assisting in the Census of 2009.  I was not in the room five minutes when I wondered why I decided to do such a foolish thing.  My daughter had sent me a  link that told the requirements… the link also showed the application which one could fill out online, print out and be ‘ahead’ of the game.  I did this.

Upon arrival at the library, the first thing out of their mouth was I needed my social security card in order to prove who I was. This information / request was NOT in the article.   I had with me, my military I.D. card which includes my social security number.  I had a certified copy of my DD214 which is the document proving one has served in the military and which includes said social security number. I had with me a copy of my disability papers which has a unique number I used to buy / receive my first V.A. loan and which obviously has my social security number.  Nope, not good enough.  I nearly walked but decided to stick it out.

I took the test which had thirty minutes allocated.  I was admittedly surprised.  The test did make me think.  I took perhaps 28 of the 30 minutes and scored a 95%.  The instructor stated she would remain for one hour for those who lived close by and wanted to bring their social security cards back.  I did.  I also took a birth certificate.  When I arrived I laid them both down.  She wanted to put the birth certificate in ‘my’ folder.  I told her I only brought it along in case she thought my s.s. card was fake and she was NOT gonna keep my birth certificate. I told her just dealing with her was bringing back nightmares about government work.  She began to apologize and I just told her to save her breath. She mumbled about government paperwork and my response was… so  what are you doing about it.  I worked in the military and defense contracting for twenty years madam. I KNOW one can and should use common sense.  She did not impress me and it drives me nutso when people blame their government.  Somebody has to take a stand and do something. 

And I want these yaybirds running my healthcare.  Ahhh, yes, gently bending over and preparing for insertion. And by the way.  I don’t give a rats ptooie if they call me or not. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home