John Smyzer's Ramblings

Friday, January 23, 2009

That Homeless Feeling

So I’m on the road the other day – the mission… take a bus to Ames Iowa, from there a cab to Jewell Iowa to pick up a 2009 Malibu and take it to Wichita KS.  Things were going very smooth.  The bus was on time, the cabbie was there when I arrived, the car owner just left the keys in it along with the spare set and said “drive it away”.  So, off I went.  I headed out for Wichita and arrived with only one small incident.  I had stopped for gas and while the car was filling I went inside to relieve myself and buy a e large coffee.  Bought Columbian Brew with two creams.  Set that on top of the car as I finished with the pump and promptly forgot I’d put it there.  As I pulled away, I heard a ‘PLOP’.  I ‘did’ get out to see if perchance the lid had stayed on… it had not… I punished myself by driving a another120 miles before stopping for another shot at java. 

So, with my trusty GPS to guide me, I delivered the Malibu at 5:30 PM and the recipient was so grateful for my early arrival he offered to drive me to the Wichita bus station.  My bus home was not scheduled to leave till 3 a.m. and I was prepared for the long wait in the bus station.  As we pulled into the bus station, it looked doggone dark…I got out to check and a fellow came to the door and said they were closed until 2 a.m.   I said what in the world am I supposed to do, and he pointed to a bench and said, “have a seat”.  Umm, it was chilly and I knew I couldn’t just sit out there for nearly ten hours.  Regardless I released the fellow who brought me and thanked him again for going out of his way to assist.

So, I walked across the street to a fast food joint and ate.  I noticed on the door going in the drive  through was open for 24 hours, but the joint’s lobby closed at midnight.  Hmm, could I last two hours in the cold… decided not to chance it, and wandered further down the road to a small motel.  Waltzed through the door trying to put on my best look and asked the clerk if I could sit in their lobby, promising not to bother anyone.  Oh no, you can not do… (she was, I think from India)… had the nice mark on her forehead and everything.  Said I could buy a room if I wanted… while I was carrying cash and credit cards, I was stubborn and said no.

Went further down the road to a Holiday Inn… told my story again, and the young black gentleman said I could sit in their lobby.  He said he would inform the others about my plight and there should be no problem.  Now, I had been up and on the go since 4 a.m. so when I sunk into that big leather chair and began watching the inauguration festivities I didn’t even care. I watched all the balls the first time, and was on the second go round when shift change occurred.  Problems began to form on the horizon.  The new nighttime clerk was a beady eyed overweight fellow and soon a big beefy guard appeared.  He wandered over to me and asked if I had a room.  I told him no, and evidently the previous shift had not explained my plight.  He said “we will have to ask you to leave then”… to which I began in earnest to defend my position.  I now only had three hours to go until the bus station reopened.  I looked as good as anyone who had been on the road all day could look, that is to say, my clothes were wrinkled, I could smell things, and I had my hoody off and laying beside me.  I had run my fingers through my hair so I did not have that unkempt look, but the fellow was adamant.  I leisurely pulled my wallet out and pulled two 50s out.  Asked him if he wanted me to pay to let me wait out my last three hours. I think he then got slightly embarrassed and said if the other crew had said I could stay, then so be it, but they would be given a talking to.  Me?  I didn’t care at that point. He had backed down and I was grateful.

The end of the story?  Naay.  At 1:30 a.m. I depart for the .5 mile walk to the bus station.  Arriving at 1:45 and feeling the chill, there was one other fellow standing there.  He had ear phones and was playing some video game, occasionally cursing the the mosheen.  From the back of the building comes a fellow wanting to bum a smoke.  Stating I did not smoke, the game playing fellow said he had one and he didn’t need the quarter offered for the smoke.  The receiver of said smoke said he’d just gotten outta jail and was gitting outta town.  I’m beginning to have an uneasy feeling but nothing more came of it… the door did not open until 2 a.m. on the  dot and in that short time I was doggone cold.  And I had been fortified earlier with McDogBalls burgers etc.  

So, we finally get on the bus, departing on time at 3 a.m. – the driver makes an announcement that this was an express service direct to Kansas City.  Lights would be out for sleepers and to be courteous of your fellow travelers.  There were audible sighs of contentment, EXCEPT – a young mother with a 1-2 year old (sitting directly across from me) had boarded.  The youngun looked at me (before lights out) and winked he was gonna raise cain.  This had to be one of the most miserable three hours I have ever spent in my life.  Sleep?  Ha ha.  The mother had my sympathy… some on the bus were now making other audible sounds which will not be rewritten here.  There was a two hour layover in KC before I boarded for Omaha.  The mother fought him the whole time and had I seen her get in the Omaha line I swear I would have gone to the airport and flown. 

So, I ‘did’ get the homeless feeling more than once on this trip.  I think I can say, it was not a good feeling.  You can believe this or not, but from the time I sunk into that chair in the Holiday Inn around 7:30 PM, I did not even get up until I left at 1:30 a.m.  It felt good to sit… it was a loong day. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home