John Smyzer's Ramblings

Friday, April 04, 2008

What "IS" That Smell?

So last week (Thursday), I went to the commissary - bought the usual items totaling upwards of $160 American.  Came home to put the groceries away and like rote took the mean to the freezer in the basement. 

Removed the items from the bag set them on top of the freezer and then began transferring them to the inside of the freezer.  Having completed the task, grabbed a beverage from the downstairs fridge and went upstairs to relax for abit.

Fast forward to Sunday - what am I gonna cook for dinner?  Went to the basement and thought one of the cats had just crapped. Whew!  On to the freezer and just about fell down.  I had left a whole chicken [on top] of the fridge since Thursday - the smell was horrendous.  You know the tough plastic covering a whole chicken.  Well, there was abit of bloody residue on top of the freezer, and I mean, just a teensie weensie bit.  So it had rotted and pierced the plastic wrapping.

I grab a rag and wipe up the mess and found what I was going to cook.  I need a loaf of bread also, so now I had bread, some steak, and the rotted chicken to carry.  Walking upstairs the chicken was leaning against my chest - briefly stopped in the kitchen upstairs to drop the steak and bread off and then straight to the garbage can outside.  Whew! Peeeeuuuuuu.  Coming back inside I sat down to finish my beverage, sitting in my recliner now.

I'm sniffing, looking at Kay Fran, sniffing and thinking she had perhaps had some problems.  Having been married for 40+ years I know she can't hide it if she's having those type problems. I lifted my shirt and the chicken that had been against my body as I came upstairs had contaminated my shirt.  Yanked THAT off and thought I was good. 

The basement stunk to high heaven.  That widdle puddle ontop of the freezer had in fact run down the front and created a bigger puddle  at the base of the freezer.  Clorox, bleach, ammonia - I do believe it is GONE, but what a horrendous smell. 

Today I bought a new chicken.  It did get placed in its resting place inside the freezer.  It will only smell twice, once when cooking, and once when egressing from the proper cavity. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home