John Smyzer's Ramblings

Friday, June 09, 2006

Haditha

Whatever went on there is anyones guess - here is what "I" know - the men and women who fight in war develop a camraderie we civilians can never fathom. When you are counting on someone to watch your back in a life or death situation (daily), one has feelings we commoners can not imagine. Does this mean I condone the alledged atrocities? Heavens no - what it means is, I believe just like I did during the Mai Lai (sp) massacre in Viet Nam - I could never bring myself to condem Lt. Calley then, nor now because I can not imagine what went through their heads.

I thank my lucky stars and My God above I never had to fight in a war. I did have buddies while serving in the military... I simply can not imagine how I would have reacted had I seen some of them slaughtered. I also know if the investigation reveals there were atrocities committed, those that committed them will be punished. That is our way; the story will come out, and even if the investigation confirms ill deeds, I still will never condemn the soilders. I will 'feel' for them, no doubt, but war is hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home