John Smyzer's Ramblings

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Lonliness of Command

A term given to me as a staff sargeant in 1968 while stationed on Okinawa. The senior NCO who coined that phrase to me was referring to my responsibilities as a new NCO who would now become a leader. His name was Loren L. Brown from McCook Nebraska - his emphasis was on making the right, and yes, hard decisions... those that would not be popular amongst the troops, but that were based on principle.
I thought of this as I watched President Bush the other day - not much The President has done has surprised me. He has stood his ground while the poll numbers have fallen. Since I have for years belly-ached about presidents who make their decisions based on polls, I have always cherished President Bush for making decisions based on conviction vice what the polls are saying.
So recently, I guess I have gotten worn down by all the negative press, and interestingly, while the press is basically on The President's side on this immigration issue, I am / have been violently against President Bush on this specific issue. Upon reflection, and taking into consideration 'The Lonliness of Command' - [perhaps] I should be grateful our president is doing what he thinks is right. For that, I applaud him. I will go so far as to say this... "IF" the congress were to 'enforce' the law I would not be dead set against the Mexican policy. To me, it is not immigration policy, it is in fact Mexican policy... may as well be honest about these things. It is afterall called The Lonliness of Command.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home