John Smyzer's Ramblings

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Rummy and The Generals

The general officers coming out against Mr. Rumsfield make me want to puke. Not that they are voicing their disagreements, but 'when' they are voicing those disagreements. To hear them say they could not do so when they were 'in' the military is malarkey. Even "I", as enlisted swine could voice my disagreement(s), and trust me when I say, I did.

If they did not disclose their views while on active duty they are yellow; the very persons I would not want to follow into battle. I want a leader, someone who will take a stand, do what is right (at least in their mind)... take a stand for crying out loud. And, if in the end it means losing your precious career, well, at least you can look into the mirror General! "YOU" led men and women into battle. Do I want to follow you, knowing you are making your decisions based on your career goals? Nay nay, I do NOT!!

Here is how it is, period. During the leadup to any given situation... those in 'power' are SUPPOSED to voice their concerns if they have them. Having said that... once the decison is made, 'then' you follow the order - if you do not voice the concern in the leadup, and you 'have' concerns, you are a yellow dawg in my mind.

Remember this - when Rummy was initially made SecDef he immediately went about making drastic changes - he was disliked by many at the top (read as General Officers), and some are finding it quite convenient to now attack. I suspect Mr. Rumsfield, old soilder that he is, will withstand the attacks. In point of fact, the generals have probably ensured precisely that!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home