John Smyzer's Ramblings

Monday, November 03, 2008

Mission Accomplished

Went to the polls today, the day before. I decided I have class in the morning that does not get out till noon so I may as well do the deed today. We took a chair along for Kay to use as we were anticipating long lines. The anticipation proved correct. It took a good two hours in line before gaining entrance. Thank goodness it was a bright sunny day with a southerly breeze.


So as will happen when one is in a line like that, people begin to chit chat. The voting joint was scheduled to open at 8 and we arrived probably around 8:40 - the line did not move and did not move and people began to wonder why. Said the good lady in front: " I called and they said the polls opened at 8". I made a comment that it is a government agency, so perhaps someone wuzz fulla beans. After several more comments, good natured in general about the fact this was a government agency we were talking about, I commented, and yet we want them to take over our health care. Suddenly and inexplicably, the conversation ended. Hmm,


One fellar in front of us was reading 'The Good Book' while standing in line, and had I not seen he was black I'd of thought he was a wascally right winged republican radical. But, he looked peaceful so we went ahead and stayed in line.


I will say this much - I am 63 years old; to this point in my life, I have never seen voting lines this long, and I have never missed an election to the best of my recollection. It would appear to me, this is indeed an historical election that has brought the folks out to exercise their privilege.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home