John Smyzer's Ramblings

Saturday, May 03, 2008

We Want

I noticed awhile back an article in my AARP magazine regarding a free opportunity to shred documents in Omaha on 3 May.  So, I dutifully marked my calendar so as to not miss the opportunity. 

I waited an hour after the opening bell so the riff raff could drop theirs off, then drove out to the designated spot.  There were six large mobile shred trucks lined up, people directing traffic etc. Looked like a smooth running operation, except there was hardly anyone there.  Too bad, more folks should take advantage of these opportunities and there may be less identify theft.

So anyway, I'm directed to line up to truck #3.  An elderly lady approached my car with a clipboard.  She thrust it through the window and said we want you to sign a petition for better health care; we are sending the signatures we gather to Washington to get better health care.  I glanced at the board to see if I recognized any names but there weren't even any on it... so I decided to grill her abit before signing.

I asked her specifically what it was about our health care she wanted changed.  She said, "we want more".  I told her I was quite pleased with my health care and if she couldn't tell me any better than that what the issue was she should be ashamed of herself.  And no I don't believe I will sign.  They were giving out candy bars and she literally threw my bar at me saying you can  have a candy bar anyway.  I gently blew her a little kiss and thanked her.  She was snarly and tried to intimidate me.  Made me almost feel ashamed to be a 'senior'.  Not like the seniors that raised me. 

I am not nieve.  I do know there are people in this country hurting. I also think one should be able to articulate more than "we want more" to resolve the issue. 

Where is my frickin stimulus check?   Shoulda been  here by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home