John Smyzer's Ramblings

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday America

Today there will be mucho speculation, hmm, my prose has a slight spanish slant. Well anyway, the fireworks will be a flying and it will be a general day of celebration in this country. This year, probably more than any other in recent memory, people are stirred up as it pertains to immigration. Illegal immigration that is - I hate to throw in that little word, but that 'is' 'the' word of the hour, the week, the year.

I have had the opportunity to live in three different countries... all in Asia. Further, I have visited Mexico (not a resort area like most that visit there). I feel I understand why people want to come to this country. I doubt many of us ever contemplate just how lucky we were to be born here; I have thought about that fact many times. Call it fate, luck, whatever. To have been born here was indeed a blessing.

Especially with the communications of today, what is available in America is ever more available to the rest of the world. Just the standard of living is mind boggling to most of the world. Yes, you can indeed find other parts of the world where it makes parts of America look poor in comparision, but there is something about this country that shines through and people of the world see that 'something'. So they want to come here for the opportunity to participate and of course make it better for their families. And 'we' want them to come... I want to say one more time, I do not know anyone who is not for immigration and I doubt you do either. But, I am 'NOT' for illegal immigration, period. It is not open to discussion nor compromise.

So regardless, today is America's birthday - there are many problems, but I still do not know of anywhere "I" would rather be.

1 Comments:

  • This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home