John Smyzer's Ramblings

Monday, June 07, 2004

President Reagan

Mixed emotions probably state my feelings the best. I am glad the family will no longer have to watch what must have been a terrible 'wasting away' taking place. I saw an old photographer who had taken many pictures of the Reagans over the years. He had finally called Nancy and asked if he could take some 'final' pictures... if she thought it would be OK. While he did not reveal the date, I would say it was within the last 3-4 years. You could see the life had ebbed from Mr. Reagan's face; he was wearing glasses (you never saw 'that' in public) - the photographer told The President it was good to see him, and while The President shook his hand and held it in that special way, all he could say was his famous: 'well'. That little story nearly made me tear up.

Regardless, there is something in this situation that eats in my craw. The very people who called him an idiot are now falling all over themselves in singing his praises. Hypocrites in my mind. Regardless, I have been enjoying all the old clips from his past. My favorite was always the one where he said he would not exploit Mr. Mondale's youth and inexperience. This was during one of their debates. Ole Fritz even laughed from his belly, and it was just a glorious moment... likewise his incident in New Hampshire when he said, "I paid for this microphone". I guess those were two moments I will never forget. He was a dandy, no doubt... one I would 'ride the range with'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home