John Smyzer's Ramblings

Thursday, May 27, 2004

My Marine Gunny

I had to fire my lawn service - a little history - Kay requested three quotations - an active duty marine was one of the bidders; his name was in the paper as Gunny - we decided before they even came to bid that he would get the job. I remember when I was on active duty and Kay did not work. I worked two jobs so we could eat good hamburger vice the other stuff. I don't forget where I came from.

So Gunny comes the first time... I feel funny having someone cut my grass; I actually went to the basement so I wouldn't have to watch someone else do what I figured I should be doing. In fact I thought he cut it too short. He and I had a short prayer meeting after the initial cutting, and he understood he was OK to raise his mower to the highest setting until the end of the year. No problemo - Gunny is 'on the job'.

The next week, no problem, and I am accepting the fact a trespasser is in 'my' yard, cutting 'my' grass.

The next week - we had a little rain... no Gunny... I'm thinking, umm the dadgum grass is still growing - searching the want ads for a billy goat... couldn't find one so called ole Gunny - he said he had lost our number and was coming out next day.... blood pressure slowly falling, I said OK. Anything to give a U.S. Marine the benefit of the doubt. Had he been IRAQI, I'da had to think about things a little.

The next week - rain on cutting day - Gunny calls, says he would be out to cut next day cause it was too wet. Understanding fellow I am, I thought, he at least called - next morning we had very slight rain... I'm thinking of Gunny - 4 PM, 5PM, 6PM, no Gunny, I tell Kay I will be mowing the next day, and that will be the end of ole Gunny.

4PM - 5/26/04 I get home from work - get changed and begin the task at hand, e.g. mowing grass knee high to a grasshopper since it ain't been cut for so long. I'm done with the front and beginning the 'real' tough part, the back yard, which has a 20 degree grade. From where I was mowing I had a clear view of the street. Uhuh, you are ahead of me... here comes Gunny.... I placed the mower sideways so it would not slide down the hill, and decided to communicate with the United States Marine in sign language, pretending all the time I was deploying a platooooon of troops. You have to visualize this now: 1) first sign was arms in raised position and crossing back and forth above head (known as a universal stop sign) - 2) 2nd sign was to raise left arm forcefully while slapping left bicep with right hand, (known as a universal 'up yours sign', and 3) 3rd sign was an emphatic pointing back down the street. He understood the language just fine and climbed into his blazer with his head hanging. Not only undependable, but yellow to boot. I suppose I did look imposing... belly thrust out, contorted facial features, but a marine??? I figured he'd at least meet me half way up the hill, sort like Gunfight at The OK Corral or something. Nope, he slunk away.

Blood pressure having risen to a higher level, I had renewed energy and finished the yard in record time... I consoled myself thinking I would NOT want that marine to be backing me up in a fight. I need people I can depend on... I suspect you do to. Ahhh, relaxing with a cold beverage and thinking it is gonna be a long hot summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home