John Smyzer's Ramblings

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Just Wondering

   All this talk about not allowing children born here to automatically be United States citizens got me to wondering about the issue. So, being the nitwit I am, I opened up my copy of the Constitution of the United States of America and began to read abit.

   September 17th 1787 – this  is the date of the original document. If I’m reading it correctly, it was ratified on 4 March, 1789.  <THEN> it was amended.  The 14th amendment was ratified on 9  July 1868.  It does indeed talk about all persons who are born here are citizens of these United States. There is no question regarding those words or, in my mind, their intent.

   Nowhere in the document does it talk about the parents being in this country illegally.  And this  is where I have my question. 

   If the original Constitution was indeed amended, what is to say it cannot be amended again to address this issue?  I say it can – do I expect it to happen in my lifetime?  No!  All I’m saying is, it is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home