John Smyzer's Ramblings

Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Poor Farm

Recently there was an article in the paper about the veterans home that just closed. The facility was built in 1917 and originally was a 'poor farm'. While the fact there even were poor farms was something I'd been unaware of, a subsequent conversation with an in-law sort of validated the existence of poor farms at one point in time.

I can remember my father saying over the years... "I do the best I can, and if that isn't good enough, they can take me to the poor farm". I always thought he was being melodramatic, and in fact I suppose it didn't make me feel real good.

Come to find out, there 'was' a poor farm where I was raised and I had no clue. The in-law who told me, said my father and one of his brothers would swing in there now and then just to make sure it was available in case the 'needed' the services. Oh the things one learns as they travel down life's path.

1 Comments:

  • Say what??? Methinks further explanation is needed. 'Tis all news to me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home