John Smyzer's Ramblings

Monday, March 26, 2007

Perceptions

The situation at the justice department has about reached critical mass.  General Gonzales in all probability should tuck his head and 'go'.  While I believe the Administration has / had the right to fire the U.S. Attorneys, the fact they were not upfront about the situation created bad perceptions. 



Years ago while working for company X I was / am a personal friend of my boss.  He was somewhat younger than I.  I was a shift supervisor and had a crew of five or six as I recall.  Part of my crew would work on one side of a glass enclosed console area, the remainder out on a computer floor.  In other words, the computer area was visible from behind the glass enclosed console area. 



When the supervisor (personal friend) wanted to have a private meeting (read as butt chewing), he might call me out to the computer floor where our conversation would be private... no prying ears could hear, but the could see.  There were times when I might disagree with some policy etc. and this is where the perceptions come into play.



My boss and I would literally 'act' on the other side of the window.  We might be pointing fingers, be right up in each other's face and talking about going to the ballgame, but 'to the crew' on the other side of the window thought a major disagreement was taking place.  It was all their perception of what was taking place.  It showed them there was a line between me and the boss, that I was fighting for 'them'.  While I 'did' fight for them on many occasions, these action situations were for another reason. 



In the case of General Gonzales the people of this country, fair or not, perceive  he did wrong and has not been truthful in defending his position.  It is time for him to exit stage right, and while the entire cabinet could do the same, it would not satisfy the opposition.  Only one thing would satisfy them and that is to be sitting in 'The Chair'. 





Powered by ScribeFire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home