John Smyzer's Ramblings

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hillary's Watery Eyes

So, they are telling us the reason the pollsters were wrong was the fact women got mad at people ganging up on Hillary. I happen to think her watery eyes (she did NOT cry), was a conscious decision on her part myself. But, it does not matter what I think; this issue did bring to mind an incident I had in the military.
When I went to Thailand in 1974I walked into an explosive situation. I was a junior Tech Sargent which means there were others there who outranked me. This meant I should not have been a supervisor... however, the head cheese there knew me from a previous position in California. He called me in and said he had a problem shift... friction tween a young black male, and a white female. Wanted me to take the shift. I reminded him I was junior and what was wrong with the other supervisors? He just said - no balls. My only comment was, what I say goes then. He agreed and I took the shift.
Now you have to understand, the white female outranked the black male. While that is important in many situations, in the case of a small group (crew), the crew has to be as one. This includes the cleaning of the facility, as task we were endeared with on the midnight shift. I had already fleshed out most of the reasons for the rancor between the two, and it was merely a matter of perceived fairness. Oh, did I mention the white female was 5'10", had hair that would hang to her hind end when let down, and who had legs all the way up to her hinny? Just painting a picture here.
So, our first mid shift rolls around. My belly is begining to churn because I know cleanup time drawing near. The time comes, and I tell the white female to grab the mop and bucket. I tell the black male to give the room a sweep and she would mop. His eyes got wide as if he'd heard this before, but perhaps not in the same way. She comes up behind me, puts her arms around me and presses something soft into my back. She says she shouldn't have to mop because of her rank. I have to ignore this and firmly state as small as our crews are we would all do our part. Then the tears started and I just said, go get yourself together and on the way back, bring the mop. By now the black male's eyes are nothing but white. He may even have had some sympathy for her, but I won him over in that one instance.
What does this have to do with Hillary's watery eyes? There is nothing wrong with crying, but in the proper place. And not staged. You can be so mad you cry, you cry at funerals (sometimes); my point in this oration is to say the use of tears has been going on for along time and it will continue. But, trust me when I say, 'most' men can tell when it is contrived.
There was one more incident it took before I won 'her' over, but I did, and we were the best shift there. My supervisor just grinned and said he knew it would be handled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home