John Smyzer's Ramblings

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hypocrisy

Anyone who knows me, and I mean 'knows' me will tell you that just about the worst thing you can do is be a hypocrite (knowingly).  Drives me nutso.

Last night I was watching NBC News - Sir Thomas Brokaw was interviewing the second richest man in these United States - Warren Buffett.  Mr. Buffett was talking about how his tax rate is lower than those lowly people who work for him... 17% vs 30% as I recall.  Gushing about how the rich just don't pay enough in taxes.  The asked a couple of his workers if they were aware of this... oh noooo, you're kidding... all the normal rot about how unfair this 'must' be. 

I do not pretend to know the ins/outs of our wonderful tax code. I am for a flat tax, period, however, I do know enough to know that those who are considered rich know how to hide/shelter their money.  This includes the illustrious Mr. Buffett.  He does lots of good with his charitable donations; one can not deny that fact.  Do you suppose he gets a tax break because of those donations?  You bet your bippy... "BIGTIME". 

One thing people ought to think about.  The definition of 'rich'.  I do not begrudge the rich (whoever that might be).  What I 'do' worry about is when someone decides I am rich.  I am rich as are most Americans in comparison to the rest of this ole world.  But this is about taxes. People would be amazed if they knew how small a percentage of taxpayers pay 90% of the income taxes in this country. [INCOME TAXES], not all the other taxes including property, sales, hotel, food, and on and on.

Every time INCOME taxes are cut, the bounty coming into the treasury increases.  Why is that?  Well, those dang rich folks need something to do with their money, so they umm, invest those monies.  And guess what that does... it creates jobs for other rummies to work and pay, umm buy things which creates more jobs, which creates more wealth, cause someone hasta build / create those things.

So Mr. Buffett. I pay my fair share and more, and you are free to send more than is taken straight to your government.  They will gladly accept anything you send.  Nobody will deny your right to send the money you think you owe.  Please do so you hypocrite.

Here is one more hypocrite.  BONO - the singer.... he has done much to identify and aid world hunger.  He's done allot, can't deny that.  Well, he has moved his corporate base from his homeland of Ireland to The Netherlands where his royalties have virtually zero tax.  These dang rich guys.  You see how simple it is to get OUT of taxes?   Same thing here. If you think Buffett hasn't taken advantage of tax shelters you are smokin something.

The point is - raise the taxes as high as you want.  The really rich, those we can all agree who 'are', will find a way to not pay.  It isn't complicated. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home