John Smyzer's Ramblings

Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Porkers

I remember back in my younger days I used to say... if the republicans ever get into power and do not control spending it will finally convince me that politicians will 'never' balance the budget. Well I guess we can put that to rest. What with all the pork in the energy bill the president recently signed, I think we can all say together that congress is just plain spend happy.

I can picture myself on Okinawa in 19 and 73 A.D. The discussion was on President Nixon not giving the military a pay raise that year because of high deficits. "I" was a lonsome dove in that room of airman... lonesome in the sense that I agreed with the president as long as I could see the rest of the country follow suit. Course it didn't happen and the military was just sacrificed.

All during those years though, there was either a republican president with a congress dominated by democrats or a democrat president also with a democrat congress. At times the republicans would hold the majority in the senate, but never both houses of congress. Well, it finally happened; nothing has changed. In fact it just may be the republican run government is worse than ever. I understand the monetary expenditures for the war, both at home and abroad. I can NOT nor will I accept the pork in the budget... it sickens me and it has taught me a bitter lesson - it has actually taken some of the fight out of me (politically speaking)... a sad but true commentary.

It did take me into my fifties to get this jaded about our government; the real sad part is... it is apparent this is what 'The People' want. That is the real sad thing, at least to me. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home