John Smyzer's Ramblings

Monday, September 07, 2009

A Teachable Moment

   It’s funny the twists and turns we take down life’s path.  I had a nephew who was able to visit a prominent museum for ‘free’ because he had a, shall we say, a prominent credit card.  Having that credit card allowed him to enter ‘free’.  Nephew said this was one of the few redeeming things that could be said for this credit card company.

   As we geezers know, nothing is free.  In fact, let’s waltz through this a little bit.  We know these companies have raised their interest rates to very high rates, thereby taking advantage of those who can least  afford to pay. 

   Now, I suspect this company has an agreement with the museum of some sort that makes it profitable for the company to allow their card holders to enter without paying.  Further, it also means my nephew is getting to see these artifacts on the backs of the oppressed, because the card company is obviously able to let some enter without paying because of high interest rates charged others. 

  It is a wicked web we weave; the point of this is not to single out the young who believe they know ‘the way’.  I often wonder what my father used to think of some of my thoughts. :)  The specific point is, nothing, and I do mean nothing is free!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home